House Substitute 1 to House Bill 200 (Clean Water for Delaware Act)
House Substitute 1 for House Bill 200 (HS1 for HB 200) was unveiled by Governor John Carney, House Majority Leader Valerie Longhurst and Senate President Pro Tempore David McBride in late January. HS1 for HB200 is the Clean Water for Delaware Act. It will create a Clean Water Fund to address Delaware’s most pressing clean water and waterway projects.
Where does the dedicated funding in the Clean Water Trust account come from? Great question, since HS1 for HB200 doesn’t actually provide any funding. Governor Carney proposed an initial investment of $50 million in the Clean Water Trust account in his Fiscal Year 2021 (FY2021) Bond Bill. The initial funding could leverage millions more in federal funding.
What can be funded by the Clean Water Trust?
Funding will go towards:
- Improving flood resiliency and drainage in our most flood-prone communities
- Repairing failing sewer pipes and septic systems
- Improving drinking water quality and expanding access to safe drinking water
- Removing decades-old pollution from our waterways
- Conservation funding for Delaware’s agricultural community
- Low-interest loans and grants for low-income and underserved communities
What happens next? There are two big steps to ensuring this becomes a reality.
- The Clean Water for Delaware Act (HS1 for HB200) needs to become law. First, the bill must pass the house, then the Senate, then head to the Governor’s desk for signature. Follow our social media and sign up for the newsletter to learn as we pass each milestone.
- The Governor’s recommended budget is just that: a recommendation! The initial investment of $50 million for clean water must be approved by the Bond Bill Committee and passed by the General Assembly before becoming a part of the final budget. It must be debated and signed like any other piece of legislation. To learn more about Delaware’s budget process check out our Budget Blog series.
Great new Water Warriors! You can advocate for this innovative plan for clean water funding!
There are three things you can do to help ensure the Clean Water Trust becomes a reality this year, and for years to come.
- Contact your legislator and let them know you support HS1 for HB200. If you don’t know your legislators, visit the DE Department of Elections website and enter your name and birthday for your voter registration information. Click on “Districts” and you will see who represents you in the State House and Senate.
- Reach out to Delaware’s Bond Bill Committee and tell each member that you want to see the full $50 million earmarked for the Clean Water Trust to be included in the final budget proposal.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and sign up for our newsletter to get up-to-date information and action alerts to learn more about how you can advocate for clean water funding.
Want more information? We’ve got your back. Check out this blog that provides more details about who will control the money and what funds it will flow through.
Interested in getting involved? We thought you’d never ask. Click here to see how you can help us accomplish this landmark achievement! We can’t do it without dedicated Delawareans like you.